Pages

Friday, June 24, 2016

Wander: DIY Mickey Mouse Ears

Hello, everybody!

It's been a while but I'm back with an easy DIY that you can throw together in one sitting!

I'm a Disney nerd through and through. I know a lot of other 90's kids are too. Disney is constantly innovating and growing, just like Walt wanted, and I have completely embraced my obsession as I've entered "adult"hood.

This DIY came about when I saw that my local Geeks Who Drink trivia location was going to be hosting a Disney Quiz. We had a team of six and I love any chance to wear some Mickey ears. Luckily (& crazily), I already owned 5 sets of ears (4 ears hats and 1 headband set of ears).

But we needed one more set.

Have you ever needed a pair of Mickey Mouse ears? Maybe for a party - maybe for Halloween? Maybe you don't have the time to order some online. Maybe you want to save some money while you visit the happiest place on earth!

Rest easy, my friends -

Here's how to DIY an easy set of ears that can be pinned to any existing hat.

See the step-by-step after the jump!




What You'll Need


Materials 

  • Corrugated cardboard
  • Safety pins
  • Paint (Black for classic Mickey Mouse ears, other colors for other themes - go crazy!)

Tools 

  • Pencil
  • X-acto knife (or scissors)
  • Hot glue gun and hot glue sticks
  • Paintbrush

How To



  1. Print out my DIY Mickey Mouse Ears Template (.pdf), here. I traced around one of my real Disney ears hats to make this template. If you don't have a printer, simply draw a circle with one flattened side, sized to your liking, directly onto your cardboard and move on to Step 4. 

  2. Cut along the lines on the template and discard the shaded portions (the inside of the ears). 

  3. Use the template as a stencil and trace the ear shapes onto your cardboard.

  4. Using an X-acto knife or scissors, cut out the ears. I prefer to use a sharp knife like an X‑acto because it helps prevent smashing the corrugation (wavy insides of the cardboard) near the edges where I'm cutting. 



  5. Use a hot glue gun to fill in the edges of the corrugated cardboard to make a smooth(er) edge. This just gives the ears a more finished look, rather than the raw, open edge of the corrugated cardboard. See photo below and photo in Step 6.



  6. Once the edges have cooled, use the hot glue gun to glue the non-opening portion of a safety pin to the flat portion of the ear. Glue the safety pin perpendicular to the cardboard (see photo below). It's important that the safety pin is perpendicular to the cardboard so that the ears will stand up on the hat and not fall over. 



  7. Once all of the hot glue has cooled, paint your ears! Paint over the cardboard and hot glue, for an even finish. I made my ears in less than an hour on a work night, so I just went with simple, classic black Mickey Mouse ears, but, you can be creative! You can paint literally anything on these. You could make Disney movie themed ears, ride/attraction themed ears, or custom ears for a special trip or occasion - bachelorette party ears, family vacation 2016 ears, and more! 

  8. Let dry.

  9. Pin your ears to your hat. 

And you're DONE!

Go show off your Disney pride!

Below are the sets of ears that I had for my trivia team!

Until next time, friends - Stay Excellent!



No comments:

Post a Comment